Fire millipedes

• I got 3 of these fire millipedes from someone who was selling their collection in Oxford! I've admired this species for a long time and the ones I got are beautiful! :drool: Does anyone else keep this species at all and what are your experiences with them? These ones I bought are captive bred :)

• Hi Crunchie,
    This species seems to be difficult to keep and especially to breed. I kept this species also for 6 months, there were a lot of copulations to see but there were no larvaes or eggs to find. The only person I know who has found tiny larvaes was Thomas W. but they died away within a few days. I never saw any pictures of subadultes of them too.
    I would be a little scepticale about the information that they are captive breed. There are a lot of people who say that they breed pillmillipedes and so on.
    Maybe you can ask them for informations at what conditiones/substrat/food they kept them and how long it took to become [lexicon]adult[/lexicon] and how they look as small ones. If they really breed them it would be very interesting.

I wish you good luck with this beautyful species :bigthump:

• Zitat

Original von Crunchie
    I got 3 of these fire millipedes from someone who was selling their collection in Oxford! I've admired this species for a long time and the ones I got are beautiful! :drool: Does anyone else keep this species at all and what are your experiences with them? These ones I bought are captive bred :)

Hi Crunchie

Congratulations on your new animals, they are beautifull! I've never kept the species myself - mainly due to the supposed breeding problems. Make sure to tell about it if you succeed in this.

Best regards,
    Sofus

• Zitat

I would be a little scepticale about the information that they are captive breed.

I was skeptical about the captive breeding part as well but there are a couple of the 7 I bought (my friend wanted some too) there are a fwe that are fairly small at about 3cm. Since Madagascar has had its boarders shut for exportation I can't see these being wild caught. :confused:

Their previous owners was keeping them in an arid tank with high humidity and lots and lots of rotten leaves, wood and apples. I've sent him an email asking for more info on how he bred them but he says he bought a pair from a European dealer about 2 years ago and the young appeared around 3-4 monts after he got them. :bigthump:

• Oh thats interesting.
    Maybe you take a photo of the small ones. I ever wondered what color they have.
    Do you know at what temperatures he kept them?

Zitat

arid tank with high humidity

How can I make this???

• I use a tank like one of these but burn some more holes in the plastic! I use these for my aboreal species and the Tanzanian yellow legged arboreals tend to do well in this set up. I however added more substrate for the fire millipedes. I'll take a few photos of the smaller fires later though the colouration is much the same but slightly duller. :drool:

http://www.livefoods.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=517

• Hello All,
    I had about 5 of them and I kept them in a 10 gollon terrarium with about 7-8 inches of peatmoss and dead leaves(oak)

I saw lots of copulation and mating activity.
    after all the adults died (WC from Madagascar) I found 2 small nymphs

I was happy to see those two guys since no one besides Orin Mcmonigle from the USA has documented a succesfull breeding of these millipedes.
    Any ways it is possible, I kept my tank Humid with low ventilation

The millis are still small but they are showing color,
    regards
    FT
    USA