Millipedes (in the UK)

• Hey everyone,

I have tons of babies millipedes that i really want to sell or trade, sold a few in the UK, but not that many. I would sell to people in Europe but I am not sure if there are any restrictions on sending them from here, or how long it would take, or the cost. Could anyone give me any advice?

Thanks.
    Lucy

• Hi Lucy

shipping outside is always a problem, I think.
    U have to check first if it is allowed in your country(normally is not, here in germany also not, but most of the people do it cause the law here is not so clear on in invertebrates).
    I ship here as "handle with care, Glass".
    But u are not in the EU I think, so you will get problems with the custom.
    Shipping I think would be only possible by airmail, otherwise they will have a long time to travel and u will maybe loose some and this would be very sad.
    The prices u have to check in your own country for sending outside UK, not really cheap I think.

Btw, which species do u want to sell?

Greez,
    Shura and the whole Bunch

• Hi Shura

I have tons of Spirostreptidae spec. 1 and 2.
    Dendrostreptus Macracanthus
    Malaysian Millipedes (similar to Spirostreptidae spec. 4)
    Pink Legged Millipedes (poss. Julidae spec. dark brown bodies with lighter bands and dark pink legs. Adults approx. 10cm)
    A few Spirostreptus Brachycerus also.

Thanks a lot for the info. Have looked into it a bit, laws not very clear here on invertebrates either and not sure how long shipping would take.
    Would payment usually be made with Paypal?

Many thanks.
    Lucy

• Hi Lucy,
    I dont know how the others pay, but paypal is very simple and most of the guys on selling plattforms like ebay or so use it.
    I prefer this cause this is easy and cheap, otherwise u will have to make an foreign bank transfer which will cost alot.

Please check out the prices for delivery to germany, this will great.
    So u can post an ad in the section underneath the header(Anzeigen) and ev will be fine.

Greez,
    Shura and the whole bunch

• Hi, I exchanged some animals (snails, stick insects) with people from the UK. No problem at all. It was just send in a small package. Like in most countries in Europe officially it is not allowed to send live stock. In the Netherlands it is not allowed but everybody who is keeping and breeding invertrebrates does it. As long as you don't mention that there are living animals inside the package it is not a problem. Like written above it can be wise to write down breakable or glass. Allthough I doubt post office will look to it. Normally it will take 3/4 days for a package to arrive in Europe. From Europe to the UK the same.
    That are nice species that you mention. I should be interested.
    best regards, Reginald

intriged by life

• Hi,
    Thanks for you replies, lots of helpful information. I have looked into postage costs, it's actually not so expensive as i imagined, definitely worth considering. Customs doesn't seem to be problem so long as it's EU countries only.
    Do most species survive the 3/4 days been shipped? is it a good idea to put heat pads in with them?
    Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure do things right.
    Many thanks
    Lucy.

Anyone interested in buying/trading any, let me know, I have hundreds and we're getting a little overcrowded!

• For most of the species it is no prob beein i a box for about 3 or 4 days as long as u pack them well with substrat and rotten leaves, check that theres enough moisture in.

No need to send them with heat pacs if u check out the temp. outside, its better for most of them if it is not too hot while sending.

Greez,
    Shura and the whole bunch