Millipede temperature?? please help

Hallo zusammen, in den nächsten Tagen könnte es hin und wieder zu Unerreichbarkeit der Domains forum.diplopoda.de sowie dipopoda.de kommen. Für die zukünftige Administration bin ich am Umstrukturieren des Server-Aufbaues. Tut mir leid, dass es in letzter Zeit gehäuft zu solchen Arbeiten kommt. Danach sollte aber soweit keine weiteren Einschränkungen mehr bestehen. LG, Robert
  • Hi,

First time poster and I come with a question.

I live in South Wales, UK and the temperature here is a bit chilly, especially for my two millis. I have an under tank heat mat which heats the soil to a 'warm to the touch' temperature, from a basic dial thermometre it reads about 25c warm.

From a thermometer I have about mid way up the tank wall the air temp stays roughly around 18c, which is a bit on the cold side from what research I've done.

I was wandering if 25c soil temp, but 18c air temp is okay?

Is it the soil temperature or air temperature I want to be concerned with? With a dim heat lamp or side mounted heatmat be useful in this situation? These are my first millipedes and want them to be comfortable, so any advice is welcome :)

Many thanks in advance,

Reece

• Hi, Reece,

first of all, which species are ur millipedes, this would be helpful for the correct consideration of the temp.

I would remind u that the undertank heat mat is not a bright solution cuz of heating the substrat too much overdone for possible offspring, they are not firm with that, imagine normal temperatueres in the wild, so I would suggest to put the heatmat at least on sidemounted of the tank.
    Lil' bit curious but on which substate are u keeping them?

Greez,
    Shura and the whole bunch