Fruit Flies!

• I have been keeping things very moist for the (hopefully) baby millipedes and the eggs. Now there are so many fruit flies that my bed is full of dead bodies and no food can be kept still for more than a few seconds without one landing on it. It is absolutely out of hand. If I let the substrate dry out, will that ruin any chances for babies? That is where they are breeding and stopping them from breeding is apparently the only way to truly knock them out.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Snipes (5. Juni 2007 um 00:38)

• I'd recommend to do the following: to kill as many flies as possible! It's not a perfect solution, but keeping them from mating and deposing eggs by killing them first does help keeping them from hatching too :D

Set up traps! a glass of apple juice with some vinegar and a drop of soap should attrack and drown a lot of them.

The sticky yellow-color-traps (sorry, i don't know the english term and could not find it in any dictionary) should do well too they are almost as inexpensive as the juice trap if you buy the disposable ones.

Best use both for maximum effect!

Good Luck Soldier! :wink:

P.S.: I don't know how strong the attraction of the traps for milipedes is, but I would recommend to set them up a save distance away, outside the terrarium.

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Mat-in (5. Juni 2007 um 03:14)

• just keep a house-spider in the terra and they eat the flies.
    I had the same problem and now the flies are gone.

• Dont put any type of spider in with the millipede. They will generaly eat the young ones ;(