Feeding animals

• Hi everybody, especially Snipes ;)

I chose this ambiguous title to irritate ulikunkel :D

Whatever... I didn't want to denigrate you, Snipes!
    Maybe you are really right, and our Millipedes need "animalfood".

I feed fish food and I see that my sweeties like it a lot!

so everybody, what do you think ??

• hi froop,
    i have to laugh now! :) first look only with one eye 8)
    yes i feed mine too witih some fish-food.
    sometimes i give them some cat-food -> eingeweichtes trockenfutter

lg
    maria

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ulikunkel (5. Mai 2007 um 10:16)

• Perhaps they do not NEED it. Soil contains some material from dead animals and I would think that in the wild the millipedes would eat at least a bit of it in their lives.
    Does the fish food contain a lot of animal parts? Some fish foods have corn and wheat and tofu, but others have ground fish and shrimp. What is in your fish food?
    Besides an occasional mouse, i feed fruits and veggies, and the substrate is made up of organic peat moss and soil, ground rabbit food pellets, oak mulch, and shredded aspen.
    Cat food has much protein in it. That could work very well to fill nutritional needs.
    Mice appeals to me because many foods are packed with preservatives and things that are just not natural. Chicken from McDonalds and chicken from a local farm both have protein and nutrients, but they are very different. As an example, I took a random fish food and here are the ingredients:
    Tetra ColorBits Tropical Granules
    Fish Meal, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Wheat Germ Meal, Wheat Flour, Corn Gluten, Feeding Oat Meal, Potato Protein, Shrimp Meal, Dried Yeast, Wheat Gluten, Monobasic Calcium Phosphate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Lecithin, Algae Meal, Soybean Oil, Yeast Extract, Ascorbic Acid (Source of Vitamin C), Inositol, Niacin, A-Tocopherol-Acetate, Riboflavin-5-phosphate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin A Palmitate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Cyanocobalamin, Cholecalciferol, Manganese sulfate, Zinc sulfate, Ferrous sulfate, Cobalt nitrate. Coloring Agents: Beta-Carotene, Red 3 dye, Ethoxyquin and Citric Acid both as Preservatives.
    I cannot say for sure, but at least some of those ingredients probably are no meant for millipedes ;) . I really do not think these kinds of food would cause problems since I can see many people doing it, but straight meat is more appealing to me in that it is a natural food source to vast multitudes of life.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Snipes (5. Mai 2007 um 10:41)

• hi snipes,
    i feed som fish-food with crabs ,shrimps, fish, some waterplants and cereals in it.
    i think the greatest part in it are the crabs and fishes.
    i buy it in the pet-shop.

maria

• hi snipes

as far as i can see, there is nothing much wrong with the fish food you quoted. of course all the latin-sounding gibberish is suspicuous to the layman, but mostly it's just the scientific names for vitamins

do i get you right - you are feeding the occasional mouse carcass to millipedes?

well, why not. but i would expect some trouble with the odor of putrescence. me, i feed dry cat food, and my darlings simply crave for it (maybe due to all the artificial additives, like flavor enhancers, hehehe...)

basically i should expect that the protein source (animal/plant) is of not too much importance. however, i admit to have no idea, whether and which amino acids are essential for millipedes

i, too, prefer to have everything natural - but i do make concessions when it comes to issues of hygiene

rgds,

p

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Petronius (26. Juli 2007 um 18:49)